In the news: Montenegro PM reflects on Montenegro’s progress towards EU & NATO. Remembering Montenegro’s Muslim deportations. Miners protest and spending nights in pits.
January 4, 2010
Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic reflected on country’s progress so far, and said that Montenegro is on the right path towards achieving its goals which were ordered since declaring independence in 2006.
PM Milo Djukanovic said that he believes Montenegro will overcome the first obstacle towards the accession to NATO by the end of the year. “In my opinion my optimism is not unreal,” he told journalists and added that Montenegro should join the pre-accession program Action Plan for membership by the end of December. The government announced that NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen promised after the meeting with foreign minister Milan Rocen and defense minister Boro Vucinic that the Alliance would keep to its policy of “open doors” for new candidates.
However, public opinion in Montenegro is overwhelmingly against NATO membership. It is estimated that approximately 60% of citizens is disagreed with Montenegro’s road towards NATO, but the government continues with the preparations as well as media campaign in favour of NATO.
Mor info about this subject:
Geopolitical Crossroads: Pentagon and NATO Complete Their Conquest of The Balkans
(AFP) Montenegro optimistic for NATO membership: PM
Montenegrin Miners spent New Year’s night in the pits and continued protesting.
Several dozen miners of a bauxite mine nearby Niksic, in Montenegro, hit spent terminal period in digit of the pits. They are complaining over quaternary complimentary wages. They believe that government is not doing enough to solve their situation. Several miners have already been taken to hospital, while some came back to the pits again, after leaving hospital.
Montenegro: Officials deny Muslim deportations
Former security officials on trial for allegedly deporting scores of Muslims from Montenegro to Bosnia in the early 1990s have denied all the charges against them. The officials said they were acting in line with policies of the government in Podgorica, then and now headed by prime minister Milo Djukanovic.
The Montenegrin state prosecutor told the court on Thursday that local police had rounded up dozens of refugees who had fled war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1992 and handed them over to Bosnian Serb forces who later executed many of them.
In opening remarks at the trial in Podgorica, prosecutor Lidija Vukcevic said nine former police and state security officials violated international law, and illegally detained and deported 79 Bosnian Muslim and Serb refugees.
In 1992 Montenegro and its former federal partner Serbia, then led by late Serbian strongman Slobodan Milosevic, formed the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia after the secession of Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Macedonia. Current Montenegrin Prime Minister, Milo Djukanovic was then a partner of Slobodan Milosevic and actively participated in the war politics of Serbian regime. He later opposed Milosevic’s policies, supported by the USA & EU and led Montenegro toward independence in 2006. (read here the controversial biography of Milo Djukanovic)
More about this story:
Montenegro tries nine for sending refugees to deathmontenegro